Tuesday, October 4, 2011

David Steckel to Toronto















New Jersey trades C, David Steckel to Toronto for a 4th round pick in 2012.

Not sure what this means for the Leafs right now. Besides being a elite at face-offs, Steckel brings nothing to the table that we don't already have. My gut feeling is that this is a precursor to a bigger trade that will happen possibly tonight, or a week from tonight. This move on its own does not make sense. Burke must be planning something else.

Steckels only claim to fame - if you want to call it that - is that he is the one who gave Crosby his concussion.

If this results in no future trades, I see this as a bad move, as Mike Zigomanis does the same job as Steckel. The only difference being Zigomanis was already in our organization.

Just have to wait and see. This will be an interesting 24-48 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective. I'm definitely not opposed to the Leafs picking up more centers, but a trade sounds exciting too.

    Judging by Steckel's stats it's pretty clear he won't be putting up a lot of goals, but another face-off man can't hurt.

    I think the Leafs are in good shape for the start of the season and they should be fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Steckel will strictly be a face-off guy who logs a ton of PK minutes. I don't dislike him as a player, more than I think that he wasn't a need for the Leafs.

    And I agree. This Leafs team is one of the best in years. I know they will improve on last yrs performance

    ReplyDelete