Friday, February 10, 2012

The Sentimental Side of Hockey

The Maple Leafs and Canadiens will square off for the 4th time this season and it always brings back memories of my dad. To the disbelief of most, he was an avid Montreal Canadiens fan. Thankfully for me, my grandfather made sure I became a Leafs fan. This led to many fun moments as a kid growing up.

The Saturday night battles between these two rivals would be a time where me and my dad would get together. We'd order in chinese food and watch the game at his place. It was always something Id looked forward to and is always etched in my mind when these two teams play even today.

My dad passed away 4 years ago in a car accident, but these games still hold an emotional value to me. At his funeral during my eulogy to him, I wore a Canadiens jersey. It was a special bond we shared and the same bond he shared with his father. Some people will say it is just a game, but it holds a different connection to me. It is a much deeper connection than anyone will realize.

When I turn on CBC tomorrow night, those great memories of my dad will come flooding back. It is something I cherish and hope to do the same when I become a father.

Love you and miss you, dad.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, Brandon! I can picture you being that fun wacky dad who sends their kids to school everyday decked out head to toe in Leafs gear lol.

    ReplyDelete