Monday, November 5, 2012

Writing comedy

As apart of my comedy class, we had to perform three minutes of stand up at Rumor's Comedy Club.

I was pretty nervous - not about perfroming - but writing 180 seconds worth of "funny" material.

Being a journalism student definitely helped me with my writing process. I was able to write a "story" about elevators, while still making it punchy and funny - well, funny to some people anyways.

And on Sunday night, I was able to test out my material at a sold out Rumor's Comedy Club.

Surprisingly, it went well. Being on stage was a great experience. The lights were bright and the crowd was into the stand ups.

While I was up there, it seemed like the three minutes flew by. And when I got off the stage, I felt disappointed.

However, when I was able to re-watch my stand up, I was pleased with my performance - considering it was my first time on stage.

So for future CreComms, I would highly suggest taking the comedy class. Number one: It's fun. But more than anything, you'll learn a lot about yourself when you have to write and perform stand up in front of complete strangers.



No comments:

Post a Comment