Monday, January 28, 2013

Winnipeg Jets Intern

Myself and eight other classmates are currently Communications Interns with the Winnipeg Jets organization.

My first game was Sunday night and it was an amazing experience. First of all, the game was great. The pace was fast, there was a lot of scoring and the crowd was electric. Pretty much everything you need to have the supreme sports experience happened on Sunday evening.

It's an internship that you could only get from being in the CreComm program and it shows how deeply rooted CreComm is in Winnipeg.

As a journalist, it was also a little interesting interning on the PR side of things. My primary job before and during games is to hand out the lineup sheet to each teams television and radio broadcasts. I also hand out the lineup to every media member in the press box.

After the games, I got to go back to the journalist side of things and do scrums in the Jets lock room and then attend Claude Noel's post-game press conference.

Evander Kane scored the overtime game winner against the Isles, so naturally, everyone wanted to talk to him. As we waited, the media grew and grew and grew. It was one of the larger scrums that I've been apart of.

And finally Kane entered the locker room and it was a free for all to get in position to get their sound clip or video of the Jets star.

Luckily I was able to get a spot right next to Kane and once I got the clip I needed, I left for the Noel presser.

The press conference was pretty standard. I got my quotes and headed back up to the press box to translate everything and send it off.

So that was my first night as a Jets intern. I have six more games to go and I couldn't be more excited to get back inside the MTS Centre.

My next game is Feb 7 when my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs come to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment