Monday, January 7, 2013

Work placement review

Starting in late November, I had the opportunity to intern at the Winnipeg Sun. It was my first work placement that strictly focused on the sports aspect of journalism, and boy did it not disappoint.

First of all, the Sun's newsroom is filled with a great group of people. I worked with Ted Wyman. He assigned me numerous stories everyday and gave me the chance to get a lot of pieces published in the paper.

Even with the lack of NHL news at the time, I still covered a few hockey stories - including a few Winnipeggers making a big mark in the WHL.

My time at the Portage Daily Graphic really helped me during my three weeks at the Sun. In Portage, I would usually write around four stories a day, take my own video/pictures and then upload everything online.

While I did take some pictures and video during my three weeks, the Sun has photographers and people who work on the website, so that was definitely different. Writing two or three stories a day became much easier to do.

Now that I have had some experience on the print side of journalism, I'm looking towards radio and television for my second work placement in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment